Thursday, June 9, 2011

Opinions on Katich and Australia by an American

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a ton the intricacies about cricket.  I know the rules of the sport.  I've read as much history as I can.  I'd like to think my opinions are as informed as possible.

I think Australia dropping Simon Katich is perfectly fine.

I will make my new found love for the Aussies as known as possible. I have totally adopted them as mine. But some of the opinions I've had since I've started supporting them, have been a tad different than some of what I've read and heard from Australia.

I think giving Michael Clarke a shot at the captaincy was a fine choice. I've seen a ton of people that don't agree at all.





It's not surprising to me that the news that Katich not receiving a contract hasn't gone down well.  After losing The Ashes in spectacular fashion, getting rid of one of the more consistent performers over the past couple years doesn't seem very reasonable.

But the problem is, in that time that he's been consistent, Australia, well, haven't been.

If it was up to me, I might go full youth movement.

The man who will likely take Katich's place is Phil Hughes.  Despite the sucky Ashes, in my opinion, it's time for him to be first choice.  He's 22, his stats are pretty frickin decent.  He had a bad series at the worst possible time.  It happens.

At the other end, you have Shane Watson, who's just been named vice-captain, and had a more than decent year.

It does suck for him, if one of those two gets hurt, he should be the first call, but for me, his time as a regular is up.

It does seem a bit unfair, considering both Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey are still around.  But Ponting is a legend of the sport and showed there's still some left in the tank with his World Cup century, and Hussey was by far the best performer for Australia in the Ashes.  Katich is getting the short end of the stick, but if I was in charge, by no means would those two be totally off the hook. 

With players like Usman Khawaja hanging around, it might be getting close to time for a full youth movement.  Unfortunately, Katich was the first casualty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment