Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thoughts on Australian Test Squad

If you'd like reasoned, informed opinions on the squad, I highly recommend The Baggy Green, a blog all about the Australian team, which I very much enjoy reading.

I've mentioned it a lot, but I'm very much an Australian fan.  While the first England-India test was probably the one I most enjoyed watching in my 9 months of watching cricket, I really just want to see Australia again.

And thankfully for me, that's coming!


Last night (for me at least), the test squad for the Australian tour of Sri Lanka was revealed.

So, I'm gonna write about it.

The likes of Clarke, Ponting, Watson, Haddin, Hussey, Johnson, and Siddle didn't surprise me.  I was pleased to see Ryan Harris back as he's was doing fine before hurting himself in the 4th Ashes test.  Michael Beer also returns after a decent tour of Zimbabwe with the A side.  I very much expected Hughes in the team after the now infamous dumping of Simon Katich.  The rest intrigued me.

Despite not getting big scores Usman Khajawa looked good coming in for the injured Ponting in Sydney, and I'm glad he's getting more chances.  It's a shame only one of him and Shaun Marsh is most likely going to play, because I'd like to see what both can do in a test.

Trent Copeland is the reigning winner of Young Cricketer of the Year at the Allan Border Medals, and while I've never seen him bowl, his stats excited me.  As does James Pattinson.

And then there's the one that everybody is talking about.  Nathan Lyon.  The groundskeeper turned South Australia off-spinner.  It does lend itself to more 'more Australian spinnners' joke.  I'll fully admit that I've never watched him.  His stats look alright.  His First Class bowling average is 43, but its from an extremely small sample size. 

In any sport, it's exciting when new prospects come in to your favorite team, and while not all of them work out, you always get excited, expecially when you read good things about that prospect.  All in all, I really cannot wait to watch the tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment