Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Love of Brett Lee

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got into cricket via watching he latest Ashes series.  And by the end of that series, I had fallen for the Australian team.  And seeing them lose the series like that was frustrating, even for a new fan.  And then the ODI series started, and a certain bowler took the pitch, who didn't play in the test series.

In doing research about the Australian team, I had read about Brett Lee before, but he didn't catch that much of my attention.  He didn't play tests anymore, and when he did there were some guys named Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne there. 

I read that he was very fast.  But I sort of glanced over him in my research.  But as I watched the initial ODI in that series after the Ashes, there was something about him.  He finished the match with modest figures of 2-43 in 9 overs (with no maidens).  But whenever he was bowling, I felt a sort of relief, that Australia were okay.

The next day, I did more research on him.  I watched YouTube videos.  I saw his pace destroy stumps.  I watched interviews, where he seemed like a guy you'd want to buy a beer for.  But most of all, I found the picture.

If you're a cricket fan, you've seen it. 

Lee and Flintoff.  Lee looks as if his world is in shambles, and Flintoff as if he knows the feeling.  After reading the background of that situation, I'll admit, seeing the picture makes me misty.  Two guys who you feel would do anything for their team.

Brett finished the ODI series with figures of 2-43, 2-39, 3-27, 1-68, 2-21, and 1-66, giving up 5.28 an over, and 24 a match.  No one match stands out as incredible, but the consistency is what makes me love him.

Then was the World Cup.  Australia ambled along through the group stages and faced India in the quarterfinals.  Australia had a decent total of 260 to defend.  Being in America, the matches in the World Cup happened during the day, and being that India-Australia was a Thursday, I was in class.

I sat in class, and followed along on my phone, and watched India inch closer and closer to the Aussie total. 

And then Brett got Dhoni.  I nearly yelped in the middle of a really small classroom.  For that one moment, I thought Australia had it.  I thought Brett Lee had it.

India would go on to win the match fairly easily, without another wicket falling.  Lee finished with figures of 1-66.  But not before he left us with another amazing picture.
Once again the image of a (almost) defeated man, who would do anything to win.

Thanks, Brett.

No comments:

Post a Comment