Monday, May 2, 2011

Maybe Why I Love Australia

My first favorite sport is baseball.  It always has been, and probably always will be.  It has been engrained in me since I was young.  Both of my parents are gigantic New York Yankees fans, and once upon a time had Yankees season tickets.  So not suprisingly, I'm a Yankees fan.

When I started watching cricket, and I started reading about the history of the game, Australia sort of struck me as being like the Yankees.  A history of being great.  If you're not a fan of them you most likely hate them.  And some cool traditions that I love reading about.



After some talking with my Pakistani internet friend (@hasanpaliwala), we came to the conclusion that some Australian players have a comparison with the Yankees, and this has only made my love for the Aussies stronger.

First off, you have the captains (well now former for Australia, but for the sake of this post, just go for it).  An absolute legend, who could always be counted on, but they're coming to the end of their career and look a shell of their former selves.  But there is a part of you that thinks that you should'nt write them off yet, because there still might be something special left in them. (Sorry for some of the crappy music in these videos.)
Then there's the bowler/pitcher who you can't help but make you feel safe when they're bowling/pitching.
Another bowling/pitching combination.  These two are both tatooed, and highly erratic.  But when they're both on form, its something special to watch.
A hope for the future:
A guy who was always around, and didn't get a ton of credit, but has recently become an absolute monster.
Young pitcher/bowler, who has shown they can be brilliant, but sometimes...umm...not.
Only because comparing Phil Hughes to Phillip Hughes didn't make a ton of sense.

And for fun, two more where the cricketers are retired but the baseball player is still around.

The free swinger.
The legend.
Not all of the comparisons are perfect, and I would love both the Yankees and Australia even if these weren't accurate, but it's still fun to make the comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment