Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Test Matches!

I've mentioned quite a lot (possibly once every post, I dunno, get off my back), that test matches are far and away, my favorite form of cricket.

Pakistan aims for their first ever test series win in the West Indies, starting tomorrow, in what is the first test since Pakistan battled New Zealand to a fairly even draw in mid-January.

I've talked a tad about why I prefer them, but never really expanded on this. Maybe, it's because, the first match I watched was a test. Maybe its because, it that first match I watched, I was home on Thanksgiving break, and needed it was on into the wee hours of the morning, which I stay up til anyway. Maybe, it's because it's the most traditional form of the game, and I like that.




All of these things are possible. But I think that it's that test cricket is just so.....meta... I love watching a bowler slowly work away at a batsman for 10 overs, and then finally get their edge. I mean, that can happen in ODIs, but you don't see bowlers going for more that 5 overs at a time. Twenty20s? Yeah, okay.

There is just something special about seeing a batsman battle through ball after ball, to get a test century. Sure, they do it faster in ODIs, but there is just something more impressive about test centuries. Especially when they can edge any ball, and have it be their last, while that fielder might not be there in an One Day match.

I'm probably going to miss a large portion of tomorrow, and probably most of the five days. But damn, am I gonna love seeing it play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment